Wednesday 26 March 2014

Whole Wheat Cheddar and Flaxseed Crackers (biscuits)



Ok, ok - so I've been talking about these crackers for two days. Let me explain. The photo above, pretty as it is, was born out of necessity. By the time I got around to photographing the biscuits I literally only had 4 left - they went that fast!

The number one culprit in the cheesy cracker disappearance was someone whom I like to call Cheese Monster. If Sesame Street introduced a Cheese Monster this is what she would look like:


Here in France Cheese Monster loves the Belin Edam biscuits. In the US, I nearly lost her once in a box of Cheez-its. So when I decided to start our Clean Cuisine Challenge, making my own cheesy crackers was a high priority. These Whole Wheat Cheddar and Flaxseed Crackers seem to have done the trick. The other night, while preparing dinner, I placed Cheese Monster in her chair and gave her a few crackers. With the last cracker still stuffed in her cheeks she would scream at the top of her lungs "COOKIE!!!!!!" (toddler language for Please Mummy may I have another biscuit?) Hence, how they all disappeared.
So, today I made more and here is the recipe:




Health note - Flaxseeds are an amazing superfood, full of Omega 3, Fiber and Lignans (I didn't know what they were either but lignans contain plant estrogen and antioxidants). So that's why I chucked them into these crackers!



Whole Wheat Cheddar and Flaxseed Biscuits (Crackers)

290 grams (10 ounces) finely grated cheddar cheese
1 cup+2 Tablespoons (160 g) whole wheat flour
2-3 Tablespoons Flaxseeds (if kids are fussy maybe start with 2)
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil

Preheat oven to 160C/325F. Combine the cheese, flour and flaxseeds in a food processor and mix until it is starting to get clumpy. This takes a while. It could take more than a minute. When the dough stops whizzing around and sticking to the sides of the bowl you are about there. Add the oil and continue to mix again until it seems a bit clumpier. Pour the mixture onto a flat surface. It will be loose and crumby. Don't worry!




Press the dough together into a ball and try to knead it to make it all stick together. Roll out the dough to about 1/4 inch thickness and cut into mini crackers (or bigger ones, up to you!) with a cookie cutter. Place on a baking sheet and bake for about 15-17 minutes, depending on the oven. 

Voila!






No comments:

Post a Comment