Monday 31 March 2014

Banana & Gogi Berry Cereal Bars


In the first two weeks of My Clean Cuisine Challenge I have had different reactions from people when I tell them what I am doing. While most have been supportive, I have also had several people who look at me with disbelief when I explain that I have eliminated all processed food from our diet and ask "WHY????" 

I have also had many friends who want to do the same but just can't find the time and organization to go cold turkey. I have encouraged them to take baby steps.

It seems that no matter who I tell, everyone (even the non-believers) seem genuinely interested by the idea of making their own cereal bars. Maybe it is something that seems tangible in an otherwise unrealistic challenge for a busy mum. Whatever it is - people want cereal bar recipes. 

So, when my last batch finally ran out I tried another recipe by combining 2 recipes that looked promising (one from the internet and one from the Medicinal Chef cookbook.) The end result is a bit more like an oatcake and not so sweet but really quite delicious. My girls are not huge fans of gogi berries. I can't entirely blame them. When put next to a raisin in a taste test, a gogi berry just tastes chalky. However, they are so nutritious that I try to stuff them in any recipe I can. I also threw in those oh so good for you flaxseeds to try and make the bars as rich in goodness as possible.


Ingredients

1/3 cup (60g) Quinoa, well rinsed
1/2 cup Water
2 cups (175g) Oatmeal (porridge oats)
1 teaspoon Cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
1/2 teaspoon fine Sea Salt
1 1/2 cups (370g) Mashed Ripe Bananas
1 Egg, beaten
1/4 cup Maple Syrup or good quality Honey
1 Tablespoon Coconut Oil*
2 Teaspoons Vanilla Extract
1/3 cup (35g) Gogi Berries
2 Tablespoons (23g) Dried Cranberries
2 Tablespoons (20g) Flax Seeds 
1/4 cup (36g) chopped 70% Cacao Dark Chocolate
1/3 cup (35g) Pecans or Walnuts, toasted if you want for more intense flavor

Put the quinoa and water in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Lower heat and gently simmer 10 minutes. Remove from heat and cover for 5-10 minutes. Remove lid. Fluff with a fork and transfer to a large bowl to cool.

Line a large baking dish with parchment paper and lightly grease the paper with brushed oil.

Preheat oven to 160C/325F

In another bowl combine the oatmeal, cinnamon, baking soda and salt.

Add the mashed banana, egg, maple syrup, coconut oil and vanilla extract to the cooled quinoa. Stir the oat mixture into the quinoa mixture and then add the gogi berries, cranberries, flaxseeds, pecans and chocolate and stir to combine. 

Pour the mixture into your baking pan and smooth the top. 

Bake in the oven 30-35 minutes until golden on top and a toothpick stuck in the center comes out clean. 


Allow to cool before slicing into bars or squares. 

Voila!

No comments:

Post a Comment